Alexander Schneider is an Associate Attorney at The CommLaw Group specializing in regulatory law analysis and compliance. Mr. Schneider is also a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US).
Mr. Schneider’s practice focuses on assisting The CommLaw Group’s wide range of communications clients with compliance with laws and regulations related to the introduction of new products and services, ongoing compliance, and corporate transactions as enforced by the Federal Communications Commission and other government enforcement agencies. Specific matters include information privacy and data protection, telecommunications regulation, universal service compliance, audits and investigations, corporate transactions and e-commerce. Mr. Schneider is also a regular author of The CommLaw Group’s Client Advisories.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Schneider served as a legal intern in the Office of Commissioner Julie Brill at the Federal Trade Commission, as a law clerk to the United States Senate Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law, as a legal intern at the Center for Democracy and Technology, and as a legal intern in the Office of General Counsel at National Public Radio.
- Advise clients on the regulatory classification of their products or services to determine applicable compliance requirements, such as federal Universal Service Fund contribution obligations.
- Counsel clients on compliance with data privacy and data security laws, regulations, and best practices.
- Write regulatory compliance guides for clients who want a simple, straightforward way of understanding the complex regulatory duties that companies face in the telecommunications industry.
- Develop internal compliance manuals for clients to implement data privacy, data security, and law enforcement assistance obligations.
- Drafted compliance plan for wireless telecommunications carrier to implement FCC forfeiture order.
- Prepare corporate transaction compliance filings and applications.
- Advise clients on the regulatory status of new communications services.
- Support litigation through drafting motions and pleadings.
Thanks to Congress, the future of CPNI looks much like its past, IAPP Privacy Perspectives (Aug. 14, 2017)
The Private Carriage Path to a Less Regulatory, More Market-Based Telecommunications Future, Journal of Internet Law (Jun. 2017) (co-authored with Jonathan Marashlian & Jackie Hankins).
A New Approach to Privacy: Dissecting the FCC’s Latest Rules, TMC Net (Jan. 2017) (co-authored with Linda McReynolds).
Reimagining the common carrier, The Privacy Advisor (Oct. 2016).
Hey broadband companies, you might follow Verizon’s lead, The Privacy Advisor (Aug. 2016) (co-authored with Linda McReynolds).
How Could They Know That? Behind the Data that Facilitates Scams Against Vulnerable Americans, 19 Va. J. L. & Tech. 717 (2015).
Mr. Schneider earned his law degree from The George Washington University Law School in 2015, graduating with honors. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Politics from Brandeis University in 2012, graduating summa cum laude.
Mr. Schneider is admitted to practice law* in the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US). Mr. Schneider is a member of the Federal Communications Bar Association and the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
*Practice limited to federal agencies. Practice locally under supervision of principals of the firm.
- Information Privacy, Data Security and Consumer Protection
- Cyber Security and CALEA
- Internet of Things & Connected Devices
- Telecommunications, VoIP, and Advanced Communications Services
- Corporate, Contracts and Commercial Transactions
- Dispute Resolution and Litigation
- Cloud Computing and Communications (SaaS / CaaS / IaaS)
- USAC Compliance, Audit Preparation and Defense
- Wireless Communications and MVNOs
- Communications Infrastructure and Access
GDPR Compliance for U.S. Based Companies: Common Misconceptions, Webinar (July 2018).
Blockchain: Implementation & Legal Issues, Webinar (June 2018)
Privacy & Security in the Trump Era, Webinar (Apr. 6, 2017)
Legal Limbo: Doing IoT Business in the Gray, IoT Inc. Podcast (Feb. 2017).