The CommLaw Group’s expertise covers the full range of regulatory, litigation, intellectual property and transactional needs of the wireless industry.
The wireless industry comprises one of the most competitive and high-growth segments of the global communications industry. Our experienced attorneys assist companies in all segments of the wireless marketplace with the broad spectrum of issues facing the industry.
Over the years, The CommLaw Group has represented an array of wireless companies, including wireless service providers, Commercial Mobile Radio Services (“CMRS”) providers, cellular and PCS carriers, spectrum licensees, Mobile Virtual Network Operators and Enablers (“MVNOs” and “MVNEs”), wireless broadband and other WISPs, equipment vendors, content/application vendors and more. We help companies acquire spectrum and related assets, navigate mergers and acquisitions, deploy nationwide networks, negotiate facilities access and siting agreements, navigate the complex regulatory environment, respond to day-to-day operational issues, launch new products and services, develop business strategies, and prosecute and defend against lawsuits. We represent industry participants with respect to issues arising at every level of government — federal, state and local.
Federal & State Regulatory
The CommLaw Group’s attorneys represent wireless clients before all federal and state regulatory agencies including the Federal Communications Commission (“FCC”), the Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”), state public utility commissions (“PUCs”) and attorneys general on a wide range of matters facing wireless providers, including:
- Spectrum access, leases, exchanges and allocations
- Acquisition, maintenance and transfer of wireless spectrum, experimental and other FCC licenses, equipment and special temporary authorizations
- Assistance with FCC antenna structure registration
- State PUC certification/registration and regulatory compliance and reporting
- Compliance with technical and operating rules including the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (“CALEA”)
- Complaint and enforcement proceedings
- Telemarketing and privacy concerns
- Issues related to SMS/text message transmission
- Local number portability compliance
- Broadband stimulus funding and compliance
- Interconnection and traffic exchange agreements and intercarrier compensation issues
- State and Federal consumer protection and service quality complaints and rulemakings
- Federal and state Universal Service Fund (“USF”) contribution requirements, Telecommunications Relay Fund (“TRS”) liability and other regulatory fees and surcharges
- E-911 responsibilities
- Pole attachment, franchise and right-of-way complaint and rulemaking proceedings
- USF disbursement and lifeline issues
- State and municipal taxation
- Foreign ownership and international transmission issues